UPDATED INFORMATION, September 2019
Thank you to everyone who has submitted an objection to the conversion of The Squirrel Pub into flats. 82 people have submitted comments, which is a good result. Good news! Westminster has now rejected the planning application.
The owners are expected to appeal, however, so the campaign group will be renewing their efforts. To keep up to date, follow Cllr Tim Roca's and the Harrow Road Labour Councillors' website (https://www.westminsterlabour.org.uk/your-ward/harrow-road/)
ORIGINAL INFORMATION, May 2019
As many of you will know The Squirrel Pub, at the junction of Chippenham Road and Elgin Avenue, (formerly The Skiddaw) is under threat of permanent closure and conversion into 5 flats. A planning application has been lodged with Westminster Council.
This is a much loved local pub in an area that has seen so many pubs closed by rapacious developers. It has been nothing
short of tragic seeing poor management or deliberate mismanagement, lead where local residents have long feared, that The Squirrel is now itself under threat.
Many local residents are absolutely determined to oppose the destruction of this important social amenity and local landmark. Join us!
Here’s how YOU can help to Save the Squirrel
- Please OBJECT to the planning application and get your friends and family to lodge an objection as well.
How to make an objection
- Find the application on the Council Planning Website here: http://bit.ly/squirrel-planning
- Click on ‘comments’ and then click on ‘make a comment’
- In making your objection please focus mainly on the loss of a community facility in the form of a public house. It would be useful if you could include a mention of (you don’t have to quote) the National Planning Policy Framework, paragraphs 91 and 92 which can be found on page 27 and Westminster local policy CM 24.1.
- Say how you feel and don’t worry it doesn’t have to be Shakespeare, or that long for that matter – just let them know you oppose the loss of such an important local pub!
- Please DONATE to the campaign. Anything you can spare will be really helpful. It will allow us to fund our campaign including engaging a professional planning consultant to help us make the strongest possible case. You can donate here: www.gofundme.com/ save-the-squirrel-pub-campaign
Thank you for your support!
Councillor Tim Roca
on behalf of the
SAVE THE SQUIRREL PUB CAMPAIGN